Benefits of Student Membership
NASW and the West Virginia Chapter recognize that students represent the future of social work and believe it is important to cultivate their professional career. Due to this, NASW is pleased to offer students additional benefits that compliment the various benefits already offered to all members.
The following are several additional benefits of membership that students receive:
- Students enrolled in a CSWE-accredited social work program pay only $60 per year for their membership while in school, a savings of 75%.
- After graduation, NASW continues to help subsidize dues for students during the early years in their profession with a transitional period – 2 years for BSW and 3 years for MSW.
- To qualify, students must maintain continuous membership.
- During the first two years of the transition period, BSW and MSW transitional members pay a reduced rate of $116 each year.
- In the third year, MSW transitional members receive the reduced rate of $179 for membership prior to their upgrade to full membership.
Access to the Social Work Career Center
- Apply for a social work job
- Gain valuable experience through volunteerism
- Locate a social work leadership opportunity
- Learn about careers in social work
Access to Publications
- Student members receive the NASW NEWS and the journal of Social Work free online, plus access to three years of archived NASW journals.
- Gain access to thousands of social work and social welfare abstracts for research.
- Use the "e-Book” Encyclopedia of Social Work, 20th Edition, for general study and for licensing exam preparation. Student members save more than $350 with an online subscription.
- 10% off any publication offered by NASW Press.
- $15 off the DSM 5. To receive this discount, create a free online account with American Psychiatric Publishers at www.appi.org and enter promo code "NASWMEM” when placing order.
Access to Professional Liability Insurance
- Discounted professional liability insurance for student field placement and/or for the first two years of professional practice for NASW student members and eligible transitional members.
- Discounted liability coverage for school-sponsored curriculum
- Risk management workshops
Additional Benefits Include:
- Practice updates, policy statements, fact sheets
- NASW Code of Ethics
- HIPAA trainings
- Career search tools